Monday, March 7, 2016

What I've Been Reading, and So Should You - March 7, 2016

Do you have 7,000 tabs open on your Chrome browser? Have you actually read any of them in full, or are you like me and open up every interesting link you see to "read it later" and then never actually do? 

Well, in an effort to make myself better, I've been trying to actually read things instead of, you know, imagining I'll read them later and only succeeding in slowing down my browser until it eventually just gives up and crashes on me. And in the hopes that I can help you make yourself better, I'm going to share the excellent content that I've been reading (or watching, or listening to). Because let's be honest, there's no shortage of intelligent and thoughtful people sharing their thoughts and insights on life, fitness, mindfulness, self-improvement, etc. on the internet. The real challenge is picking out the ones that are worth every minute of your time. 


So here's what I've been reading, and so should you. Don't let this content die in your mass tabs grave!

The Complete Guide to Breaking Your Smartphone Habit - Brett and Kate McKay, of Art of Manliness
Smartphones are awesome. So is beer. But neither should be in your hand from the moment you wake to the moment you sleep. This article is full of eye-opening insights and practical solutions for severing your intimate bond with your fancy rectangle that you can't stop staring at. 

The Real Cause of Plantar Fasciitis - James Speck, of Somastruct
Planting fascists? Sounds dangerous! 
But seriously, plantar fasciitis is no laughing matter. This article does a good job looking at a number of likely causes and exacerbants of the dreaded plantar fasciitis. Treat yo feet right!

Side Quest Podcast - feat. Benjamin Burke - Robbie Farlow, of Side Quest Fitness
What's better than a podcast about fitness? A podcast about fitness with geek-a-licious tangents! Robbie interviews Benjamin, a manual therapist and personal trainer, as they talk about manual therapy strategies, assessing quality of movement, personal training, and music that I completely forgot existed (Taking Back Sunday... hello nostalgia, my old friend).

The Dairy Manifesto - Whole9
I always appreciate Whole9's reasonable approach to nutrition and their encouragement of self-experimentation. This (brief) manifesto on dairy gives some insights into why dairy may not be everyone's best friend. When in doubt, experiment!

The Crossfit Games Open: Let Go of the Leaderboard - Patrick McCarty, of Breaking Muscle
The Crossfit Open is in full swing, and while I am not participating in it and you may not be either, this article is full of good insights about perception, self-worth, and detachment. Detach yourself from results out of your control, embrace the process, and have some fun!


That's it for this time around. 
If you have something you think I should read, watch, or listen to, comment or tweet at me! I'm always open to suggestions. 

---

Be sure to subscribe, share, and comment.

Follow me on Twitter @PSprimont and on Instagram @PSprimont

Strong of heart, strong of mind, strong of swole.


No comments:

Post a Comment